I was invited to an Oscars party last week and, while I could have easily grabbed a fruit, veggie or cheese tray with a few dips, I decided to take it as a challenge. What could I bring that (A) would not be super filling (because, of course, you always want a little bit of everything at these events), (B) would still be a substantial “main” item to balance out the chips and sweets but could still be enjoyed with other main dish items (think sliders, etc.), (C) would add a little nutritional value to our plates, and (D) would taste great. Sounded like a lot to factor in but, as always, I was up for the challenge!
Based on my recipe goals and other recipes I knew of, I came up with these Mini Mediterranean Party Peppers. Filled with lean ground turkey, diced veggies, and fresh herbs and spices, they tasted great and were a party pleaser. And, BONUS, any leftovers make a great contribution to lunch during the week or a quick and easy protein snack!
Here you go - My recipe for Mini Mediterranean Party Peppers….
Mini Mediterranean Stuffed Party Peppers
Serves 8; Serving Size: 3 peppers
- 1/2 pound extra lean ground turkey breast
- 5 oz. chopped frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (1/2 of a 10 oz. pack)
- 1 small yellow squash, finely chopped (about .25 pounds or 1 cup)
- 1/2 small yellow onion (about an 8 oz. onion), diced
- 1/4 cup bulgur
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 pound bag of mini bell peppers (about 24 peppers), halved lengthwise, cores and ribs removed
- 1 can (14.5 oz) stewed tomatoes (preferably low-sodium), finely chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the turkey, spinach, squash, onion, bulgur, egg, oregano, 1/2 of the chopped tomatoes, salt and dash of pepper to a medium bowl and mix to combine well.
- Arrange the peppers, cut side up in a 9 x 13 - inch baking dish and fill each pepper half with the meat mixture.
- Top each pepper with a couple of tomatoes and sprinkle with the feta cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake 8 minutes more.
- Broil at 500 degrees for about 2 minutes more until the feta begins to turn a golden brown.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Calories 112, Protein 11.4 g, Carb 11.9 g, Fat 2 g, Sugar 6.3 g, Sodium 129.8 mg, Cholesterol 44.3 mg, Potassium 195 mg