I can't quite remember when or how I thought this up. I think it came from a mix of my curiosity regarding ways to incorporate ricotta cheese into recipes, ways to incorporate roasted tomatoes (my new favorite summer ingredient) into more meals, and ways to create fueling, simple, yet still satisfying recipes.
I started making this about a year ago and it is now one of my favorite quick brunch, lunch or dinner picks! It's so simple, yet the ingredients give it lots of flavor. You can dress it up or dress it down, add an extra slice for bigger appetites or decrease portions for small get-together bites. And, of course, it contains the whole grains, fruits, dairy, protein, fiber, & healthy fat to create a balanced fueling meal to start, get you through or end your busy day.
So here you go, the recipe for my Balsamic Tomato Ricotta Toast. I hope you find it as quick, and simple, and satisfying as I do :)
Balsamic Tomato Ricotta Toast
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (I often use the "Angel Sweet" tomatoes that I find at Central Market)
- 2 tablespoon (Tbsp.) extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon (tsp.) salt
- 1 slice of whole grain bread (I love the Flax & Chia Seed bread from Central Market)
- Optional - 1tsp. EVOO to put on toast before adding other ingredients
- 2 Tbsp. part - skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup roasted cherry tomato mixture (above)
BONUS! WHAT'S IN THIS???
Some of the nutrition bonuses from this dish include...
Tomatoes - Vitamin C | Vitamin A | Potassium | Beta-carotene | Lutein | Lycopene - did you know lycopene becomes more available in the body when the tomatoes are cooked?? AND lycopene is fat-soluble so best eaten with a source of healthy fat. The olive oil paired with the tomatoes aids in its absorption!
Ricotta Cheese (part - skim) - Protein | Calcium
Flax & Chia Seed Bread - Omega 3 fatty acids | Fiber | Protein
Olive Oil - Monounsaturated fats | Vitamin E